Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Question for the Class

Hey everybody! If you could please post a comment with your response to this question:

What has been the most interesting part of working on the Cotton Collection?

Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. Being able to join my two passions: museum studies and native american history (especially northern CA tribes) has been a treat. Since I intend to focus on NAGPRA when pursuing my MA, the learn by doing aspect of the class has been most helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love researching the history surrounding the donor, Cotton, and why he chose to collect specific Native American objects. The history of the objects are very interesting and exploring the Native American cultural through object research and display is fascinating. Also, the best part is having access to the objects and working hands-on with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it's been interpreting the collector's reasons for collecting. Researching the history of the collector is super interesting and helps us get a better idea of why he collected what he did. It's been fun trying to track down the pieces of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working with the Cotton Collection has truly open the doors to anthropology for me, I can study apart of my own culture while learning so much about the collectors history and different perspectives on how people views on Native American culture. I have been inspired by Cotton's life of collecting and the journey of that collection to the CSUS museum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really enjoyed the experience learning how to research a collection and all of the different directions it takes you. Each one is an adventure. It's like putting together the pieces of a puzzle. We are also so fortunate to be able to work with such beautiful pieces of California Native People's art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked engaging the family story. It was interesting to read their comments and experiences. And it might be morbid, but I liked walking through the cemetery looking for their graves. What did the survivors do to honor their loved ones' memories?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked how this project brought together so many learning opportunities. It was great to learn the historical perspective about the collector as well as the museum's in taking on a collection [and NAGPRA]. The team project was also a good experience

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working with artifacts and creating a museum exhibition is like being a detective. The objects give you clues about the people who used them (made them, bought them, collected them, displayed them, etc.) and tell many different stories. As a curator, I have to decide which story I want to tell. Through research and thoughtful consideration of the objects, a story slowly emerges in my mind. That's the creative part of curation that I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete